In our 70th year, the Council for British Archaeology continues to bring our vision of Archaeology for All to life - through discovery, participation and speaking up through our advocacy and campaigns.
Together with our members, supporters and partners, we help give archaeology a voice and a place in so many people's lives.
"At a time when so much of our material past is under threat, the CBA does a great job in strengthening that crucial bond that links all of us to our past." Michael Wood
Our campaigning role is just as vital now as when we were founded in the 1940s, with arguably more threats to our archaeological heritage from the pressure of development and effects of severe funding cutbacks on archaeology teaching and practice in the UK.
Archaeology matters just as much to us today. Now is the time for everyone who cares about the future of archaeology in the UK to come together and speak up for its future.
Join our appeal
To ensure the CBA has the resources to respond to the significant challenges now facing archaeology, we are launching an appeal to raise an additional £250,000 each year for the next three years to support our work.
By investing in the future of the CBA now, you can help to provide a stable foundation so we can continue to resource our vital campaigning and advocacy work, projects and programmes.
Together we can help to give future generations the opportunity for a lifetime of involvement in archaeology.
Invest in the future of archaeology
Show decision makers and policy shapers that archaeology matters by joining the CBA. If you are already a member, you can upgrade your CBA membership to our new categories of support, or introduce someone new.
- Become a Member of the leading UK archaeology charity from less than £3.20 a month
- Become aFriend of Archaeology and demonstrate your commitment to the CBA's work by helping us to speak up for archaeology, and sustain our participation and Young Archaeologists' Club programmes. Individual £300 annual (£25 a month) /£900 for 3 years Joint £360 annual (£30 a month)/£1080 for 3 years
- Join our circle of Archaeology Ambassadors and Corporate Ambassadors, a group of active and influential advocates for archaeology who share our vision and are able to work with us to make a difference. Individual from £1,000 annual (£83 a month)/from £3,000 for 3 years
- Become a Lifetime Member and your ongoing support will give the CBA and archaeology the support it needs right now to remain sustainable for years to come. Individual £1,200 (£100 a month) Joint £1,500 (£125 a month)
Join, renew or upgrade your membership online or call us on 01904 671 417
Give something back to archaeology - if every CBA member gives just £5, we can raise over £20,000 towards our annual appeal target.
- Give a donation now
- Add a donation when you renew your membership
- Make an ongoing commitment to our work by making an annual or monthly donation to the CBA.
- Sign up for gift aid and increase the income we receive from you
Make a donation now online or call us on 01904 671 417
Leave a lasting legacy
Invest in archaeology and pass to future generations our legacy of knowledge and understanding by pledging a gift in your will to the CBA.
- Leave a gift in your will
- Donate in memory of a loved one
- Order a legacy pack
Order a pack from email@example.com or contact Dave Moore on 01904 521 233.
Introduce someone new
Spread the word to like-minded friends, family and colleagues, or treat them to a gift membership. Encourage your local archaeological society to become an organisational member or introduce local history or family history groups to our Home Front Legacy 1914-18 site recording project.
Help us publicise the Festival of Archaeology and come along and support one of over 1,000 events taking place every July across the UK - or organise your own. Contact our Events Officer for poster supplies on 01904 671 417.
Support the CBA network in your area by joining your local CBA Group.
Back to top
Support our campaigns
You can also show your active support for the work of the CBA by joining our latest campaigns to safeguard our historic environment and promote good practice.
By working with us our members and supporters can give archaeology a strong and united voice.
- Speak up for our archaeology, conservation and museum services
- Help to protect Britain’s ancient woodland archaeology
- Encourage good practice in reporting archaeological finds
- Add to our voice by joining the CBA
Join us or make a donation using our secure online shop or contact us on 01904 671 417
Archaeology plays an important in our past as well as our future. We want you to explore archaeology as much as you want to from armchair to hands on.
Here are some of the ways you can participate in Archaeology;
Join the CBA