British Archaeology magazine
British Archaeology magazine is a bi-monthly magazine that looks in depth at the latest archaeology news, discoveries and research within the UK and from British Archaeologists working overseas.
It is available from major high street newsagents, via print or digital subscription, and is included as one of the membership benefits to members of the Council for British Archaeology.
Issue 164 of British Archaeology out now!
On the cover: Hoard King
Two spectacular models of the Staffordshire Hoard helmet took 18 months to create, after years of conservation and research into the original. We reveal the full story
Among other stories
- The Roman helmet Found within months of the Staffordshire Hoard, the Crosby Garrett Roman helmet was rapidly restored before going to auction. Its definitive study has now been complete
- Rescuing HMS Invincible The first HMS Invincible, a captured French ship of innovative design, had a profound impact on the Royal Navy fleet. Her ignominious end has become a bonus for modern heritage
- Ashurbanipal, King of the World Ashurbanipal’s empire, which reached from Iran to Egypt, is the subject of a major exhibition at the British Museum, described here by the curator
- Locals and strangers Hambledon Hill, a complex of Neolithic earthworks excavated 40 years ago, was attacked by people armed with bows and arrows. A new isotope study throws light on the aggressors
- Sun disc A decorated metal disc unearthed in the British Museum could transform our ideas about cosmology in Bronze Age Britain
- Tarradale Scotland’s last Mesolithic fishers may have met the first farmers
- Priddy New Neolithic earthworks found near the famous Circles
- My archaeology Pamela Jane Smith, pioneer oral historian of archaeology
- Greg Bailey on TV Pacific and plastics
- Sharp focus Hafod Eidos farmhouse, Ceredigion
- Letters Church orientations
- Casefiles GWR Revetment Wall, Swansea
- Correspondent How has community archaeology changed in ten years?
- Books Chester’s Roman amphitheatre and ancient Cambridge
- Spoilheap The battle for Bosworth’s fields
- Briefing The UK's only archaeological events listing, with exhibition reviews
British Archaeology is a bimonthly members' magazine that is also available in newsagents, and by subscription in print and digital formats.
Back to top
British Archaeology has been in print for more than 20 years! You can see a free preview of an older issue here.
To search our entire back-catalogue for subjects that might interest you, enter a search term in the box below.