British Archaeology magazine
British Archaeology magazine is a bi-monthly magazine that looks in depth at the latest archaeology news, discoveries and research within the UK and from British Archaeologists working overseas.
It is available from major high street newsagents, via print or digital subscription, and is included as one of the membership benefits to members of the Council for British Archaeology.
British Archaeology has been in print for more than 20 years! You can see a free preview of an older issue here.
To search our entire back-catalogue for subjects that might interest you, enter a search term in the box below.
Issue 168 of British Archaeology out now!
On the cover: The cunning women of Scremby
There was more to Anglo-Saxon burial than swords and shields: excavation of a cemetery at Scremby, Lincolnshire is revealing new insights into female specialists involved in healing, divining and the supernatural.
Back to top
Among other stories
- What happened to the Mesolithic? Generations of archaeologists have puzzled over one of the key moments in Britain’s story – the arrival of farming. Was it an indigenous initiative, or was it brought by immigrants? A new DNA study has solved the issue in a way few would have predicted
- Aveline’s Hole One of the sites revisited for the Mesolithic ancient DNA study was a cave in Somerset. Though its human remains have a long history, the museum collection still has important new insights to offer
- Michael Faraday: scientist, genius, archaeologist? Famed for his work with electromagnetism and chemistry, Michael Faraday was also a pioneering archaeological scientist
- Notre-Dame de Paris Personal reflections on creation, destruction and buildings archaeology inspired by the devastating fire at Notre-Dame
- SOUNDMARKS An artist and an archaeologist (who is also an artist) are exploring the underground landscape of Roman Aldborough through sound and visual art
- Radiocarbon dating: the first revolution In our second feature celebrating 70 years of radiocarbon dating, we consider how old trees came to the rescue of an unexpected problem
- Vikings First news of a major ancient DNA study across Europe
- News New insights into Neolithic settlers in Scotland
- Letters A lyre to outshine Prittlewell’s
- Greg Bailey on TV Atlantis Rising: Secrets Decoded
- Sharp focus The heart of Orkney
- Correspondent A celebratory Festival of Archaeology, and coming awards
- Casefiles Wall paintings in a Flintshire church
- Books Surveyors of Westminster Abbey, and stories of the Fens
- Spoilheap Never mind the research, feel the money
- Briefing The UK's only archaeological events listing, with exhibition reviews
British Archaeology is a bimonthly members’ magazine that is also available in newsagents, and by subscription in print and digital