Local Heritage Engagement Network
Images from MOLA Archaeology and Wessex Archaeology
To go to our LHEN toolkit, follow our link here.
Want to speak up against the challenges archaeology and heritage are facing? Take a look at our Local Heritage Engagement Network (LHEN), providing guidance to the public on how to champion archaeology in their local areas.
There are several challenges facing archaeology today, from cuts to university funding to proposed changes to the English planning system. Archaeology needs to have a strong and united voice.
To help you speak up for archaeology, LHEN will guide you on how to engage effectively, to campaign for local heritage issues and make a difference in your area.
Our resources cover England, Scotland and Wales, and was funded by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.
Working with local groups and national and local partners, we aim to:
- Develop the LHEN as a powerful voice for local communities involved in heritage issues.
- Provide a toolkit for those wishing to speak up for archaeology and heritage.
- Communicate with different groups and organisations who are working to protect the historic environment.
- Raise public awareness of local Historic Environment Records (HERs) and ensure the historic environment is considered and protected as part of the planning process.
- Raise public awareness of the ongoing challenges facing archaeology and heritage and provide support for those who want to be more involved.
- Communicate to the local government about the public interest in archaeology and heritage and the impact of cuts.
To go to our toolkit, follow our link here.
Get your voice heard
Archaeology and heritage are under threat from government and local authority cuts.
We want to get you involved in our campaign by:
- Writing to your local MPs and councillors.
- Raise awareness of local archaeological projects and activities by communicating with the media and local authorities.
- Join a local group which is actively campaigning in your local area.
Our LHEN toolkit provides a practical resource and guidance for those who need support campaigning against challenges to archaeology and heritage.
Our toolkit provides information on everything, from how to get in touch with your local councillors and Heritage Champions, to understanding the planning process and contacting your local media.
If you are involved in promoting, protecting and looking after archaeological sites, get in touch with us via our contact page or our social media channels! You can find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
We also have a casework page dedicated to protecting listed buildings in the UK. You can contact us via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
LHEN is working with a number of key partners, including the Federation of Archaeological Managers and Employers (FAME), the Association of Local Government Archaeological Officers UK (ALGAO), the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CIfA) and Civic Voice.
Keep us informed!
LHEN is set up to assist local people campaigning for their historic environment.
To do this, we need information when services are under threat.
If you have information, please contact us at email@example.com.
We will investigate any information discreetly, and if necessary, involve local societies and the media to raise awareness of the issue.
Back to top
To read our LHEN briefing notes, follow the link here.